Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Melmo" and friends!

While we were in Virginia Beach, we took a day trip to Busch Gardens. As expected, we spent lots of time in Sesame Street's Forest of Fun, since P and C are both fond of Elmo, C especially. Both boys refer to him as "Melmo" - I'm not sure if that's just a natural speech thing (I think it may be, since some of my friends' kids have also added an "M" to the front of the furry red monster's name), or if C learned to call him "Melmo" from hearing P call him that. As we were pulling into the park, P said, "I want to ride that high Melmo that goes up and down and up and down. Like this." (Then P demonstrated by raising his hand in the air and dropping it, then raising and dropping it again.) "You know what I'm talkin' 'bout, Mommy? Like the frog one at the other park? You know what I'm talkin' 'bout?" (P's memory amazes me - there was a ride at Dutch Wonderland with a frog theme that did the same thing the ride he is "talkin' 'bout" does. He rode that ride in July. The ride that he was "talkin' 'bout" now he had not seen in several months.) I confirm that I do know what he is talking about, and we plan to ride the ride.

It's our first ride of the day.



I'm not a huge fan of my glasses - I'm more of what you'd call a huge non-fan, I think - but I had to wear them because I was getting ready to have LASIK surgery, and you can't wear your contacts for a week before the surgery. I had one eye done last month, and the results were great. The other eye is scheduled for next week, but I digress.

After P, Daddy A, and I rode Prince Elmo's spire, Grandma Hen and C joined us for a ride on Oscar's Whirly Worms.




P told us that he wanted to ride the "Grover train". Grover's Alpine Express is a roller coaster for kids. P was just tall enough to ride it in April, and after he rode it he was petrified of all the rides at Busch Gardens for the rest of the day. He didn't want to ride anything else, even rides he had enjoyed in the past. This trip, I had planned to skip the "Grover train" entirely. Daddy A told me to let P give it a go, since it was his idea. I reluctantly agreed.



In this particular case, father definitely did know best. P rode twice in a row with Daddy A, then twice in a row with me. He rode the ride four times, and since it was early, and there was no line, he did this in about ten minutes.


P wanted to keep riding, but we encouraged him to try some other things, too. After he climbed off the roller coaster, P stopped to chant with Ernie. P showed Ernie that Ernie's picture was on the shirt I had made for him.


We left the Forest of Fun and went to visit the Clydesdales. P was totally focused on watching the horses but C stopped to pet a sheep.


The boys rode on the "Li'l Clydes" side by side. Now this is the bliss I pictured when I planned to have two children close together in age. Not only would they be siblings; they would also be great friends. (Maybe I should have this picture enlarged and displayed prominently in our home to calm me when I'm afraid the boys are actually going to pull each others' hair out... a visual reminder that they are friends...)


We were seated at a table near Oscar the Grouch again when we dined with Elmo and his friends. Even though he doesn't leave his can, Oscar is very animated and interacts with the audience. He was throwing trash on our table and gesturing to us. P began to talk to him. Several times during our meal, he got up on his knees, leaned toward the can, and yelled, "Oxar! Oxar!" Then he'd wait for Oscar to come up out of the can. A few times, he followed up with, "Oxar, you need to take a bath!" At this comment, Oscar would throw trash at P, and giggles would ensue. (P would giggle, of course, not Oscar. Grouchs don't giggle.)


C really enjoyed our lunch this time around. He has recently become a huge fan of "Melmo." He was excited to greet the characters and get to see Elmo up close.


C also paused to talk dessert with Cookie Monster
.

It seems C prefers cupcakes to cookies.


After lunch, we headed back to the Forest of Fun and changed into bathing suits.

As expected, the splash area was a big hit with P and C.

P conked out in the stroller while C and Grandma Hen rode some of the rides in the Land of the Dragons. I was glad to see P get some rest, and I also enjoyed watching C react to having undivided attention for a bit.
C took a solo spin in the boats. Well, not solo, but without adults.

He laughed throughout his ride on these ladybugs.
After a full day at Busch Gardens, everyone slept well!

No comments:

Post a Comment