Sunday, May 1, 2011

Say WHAT?

You know how sometimes a child will say something funny and you think, "That was funny! Not super important or truly noteworthy, but something I know I'll remember for a while and I'd like to remember in 30 years"? One of those things happened yesterday, so I figured I'd document it here. Everyone can have a chuckle and I'll have it documented for posterity so I can remember it later.

C has been sort of working on potty training lately. By "sort of," I mean that some days he's interested and does really well, and other days he's not feeling it and does, ahem, not so well. I totally realize that I could push it harder and we could really work on it, but I've decided that will be a project for this summer, and for now, I'm letting him take the lead and we're sort of potty training.

Yesterday, C was desperate to wear his "Melmo" underwear. Begging. Crying when I tried to put on his Pull-Up. On the verge of a huge meltdown. So I offered C the following suggestion. "C," I said, "you may wear these underwear if you go use the potty now and promise me that you will really pay attention and try to use the potty all morning." He agreed. I had to go to Hickory (a good 30 minute drive) and run some errands, so I was a bit nervous, but he did a GREAT JOB! He went to the potty three times, sometimes because I asked if he needed to go and he said yes (I didn't take him at all if he said he didn't need to go - I'm trying to train him, rather than training myself!), and once because he said he needed to go without being asked!

On the way home, even though C didn't fall asleep he did get close. I think he kind of zoned out, and he did wet his pants in the car. No big deal - still a good morning. We went inside and I got C diapered and settled in for his nap. When C woke up from his rest, I left P downstairs watching SuperWhy! and headed upstairs to put C back in underwear. His Elmo underwear was in the bathroom sink, so he started looking for other options. After a bit, he held up his Cookie Monster underwear and requested, "Dese, pease". I said, "You want Cookie, C?" The baby monitor was on downstairs, and P came flying up the stairs calling, "Mommy! Mommy! I need to tell you somefin', Mommy!" He stopped in the middle of the hallway, took a deep breath, and walked into C's room and calmly and politely said, "I would like a cookie too, please."

I somehow managed to keep from laughing (too hard) out loud and explained what kind of "Cookie" C and I were discussing. Then the boys each had a snack (but not a cookie) and we played outside before dinner. On the inside, I was cracking up at P's selective hearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment