Tuesday, July 3, 2012

a day at Grandma Paige and Poppa Fred's house

As a child, one thing I really enjoyed about visiting my grandparents was the everyday routine at their houses.  Some things were very different from home, and others just slightly so, but each experience felt special at their house.  My memories include things like picking up breakfast from Hardees and baking banana cream pies - years after doing them, I still remember how I felt when they were happening.

In honor of those memories, I thought I would post some of the "everyday" at my parents house that I think P and C will remember.

P wakes up early just about every morning.  When we're in Fredericksburg, he often heads downstairs into the shop with Poppa Fred. 


Both C and P like to shave with Poppa Fred.  This is something I used to love to do, too!  I especially enjoy when they come out of the bathroom after shaving and run up to me, shouting, "Smell me!  Smell me!"  I always think, Someday they'll come dashing out of the bathroom smelling of aftershave because they're about to head out on a date... and they probably won't care anymore if I like the way they smell or not.  I try to enjoy their desire for my approval while I can.  :)


C was particularly into watering Grandma's flowers on our last visit, but P helped out as well.  (Every good gardener knows that swimwear makes the best plant-watering attire.)




And, although it isn't an everyday occurence at my parents' house, I enjoyed C's attempt to climb inside the belly of this whale basket.  (Usually the basket holds the various stuffed animals surrounding C... he moved them out of his way for this activity.)


I hope (and expect) that our boys will have as many special memories of their grandparents' houses as I do of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment