Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Say Cheese!

Even though P is only in preschool, he did have one "homework assignment" this year. Every member of his class was assigned a day at the beginning of the year to bring in a poster that illustrated his (yes, the class is all boys) favorite things. P was assigned February 28th. A couple of weekends ago, we sat down to work on his "cheese poster".

We talked with P about his favorite things, printed out some pictures, and let him choose which ones would go on his display board. He worked very hard - first coloring and cutting out a picture of SuperWhy!, and then telling me about the other pictures and items he'd chosen to represent his favorite things. His favorite color, for example, has recently changed from pink to red. Pink is now his "next favorite".

I wrote down what P said (in his own words and pronunciations), and we glued the pictures and captions onto his board. He was so excited for the 28th to arrive!

Before he left for school, he posed with his "cheese poster".


He practiced his presentation, telling me all about the different things on his poster.

He finished with a big, "Ta-da!" and headed off to school.
I arrived at school at 10:30 to watch his presentation. Mrs. Heather helped him out with her pointer, showing him which pictures to talk about and making sure P hit the highlights of his project. He got stuck once or twice and I tried to help him get restarted, but he quickly proved his independence with, "No, no, no. Mommy, don't help me. I can do it!"
And he did. I was so proud of my (not so little anymore!) boy as he told his teacher, classmates, and family all about his interests and explained why he likes the things he likes right now. Way to go, P!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I think I would have been a puddle of mush. What a big boy!! And nice poster, mom!!

    ReplyDelete