Thursday, April 7, 2011

the "Big Show" approaches

May 21st, the students at P's dance school will put on their annual recital. P has been very excited about practicing for his "big show" and won't show me or Daddy A any of the dances he's learning in class because it's going to be "an apprise" (surprise). He did tell me that he'll be in a costume and he'll have to show me which one he is before the dance starts because otherwise I "won't know which one of the kids that's dancin' on the big stage is me". (On a side note, he also told me that he's going to get "a ward". I hadn't planned to buy him a trophy - they're optional, and there's no big presentation, the parents give them to their children right at the end of the recital without a lot of pomp and circumstance - but once I knew he wanted one badly enough to talk about it, I fell for the marketing scheme. He'll be getting "a ward", sure enough.) Tickets went on sale (for parents) on March 29th. There is a ten ticket limit (per student) until May 1st, when the general public can purchase tickets. The box office opened at 9:00am, and people were lining up to by tickets at 6:00am. No, I'm not joking. Yes, this is a kid's dance recital (albiet one that has a reputation in town for being very well done). I had been warned by other dance parents (as a "rookie" dance mom myself) that the line would start early and that people in the line would also start calling the box office at 9:00am so that they could receive assistance and purchase their tickets as quickly as possible! What can I say? I didn't want to get a seat where I couldn't see my son dance! So last Tuesday, instead of going to Men's breakfast, Daddy A went to the CoMMA and got in line to buy tickets to P's dance recital. This was the line at 7:15am:

Isn't this CRAZY?


I won't keep you in suspense, because I'm sure you can't wait to find out - yes, Daddy A was able to score four tickets in the third row on the aisle. Now we're eagerly anticipating the "Big Show"!

No comments:

Post a Comment