Wednesday, November 20, 2013

movin' on up

At the end of July, P tested for his yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do.  He has been very dedicated to the sport, and I'm really proud of him.  He goes to class almost every day, unless he has another sport going on at the same time.  During those seasons, he still goes just about every other day.  He works so hard in class and always does his best, and it is so neat to see him discovering his own likes and strengths.

P was ready to show off his self defense skills.  His voice is a powerful weapon, too.  He loves to yell, "Get off me!" when he is fighting off his instructors.


P's favorite parts of TKD are sparring and board breaking.  {This is what I mean when I say he is developing and discovering his own strengths.  Martial arts hold a special place in my heart, but I am a form girl all the way.}



P challenged himself to break a green board for his test {multiple thicknesses above what he has to break to advance to the next rank}.  He broke the board on his first try.  I was so proud of him for going above and beyond!  I think lots of kids - lots of people, really - would have stopped working so hard once they new they could break the board they "had" to break, but P kept setting new goals.


When I tested for my black belt, one of our friends got me a bear from the Build-a-Bear Workshop complete with a uniform and belts you could change.  P has adopted my bear, so when he earned his new belt, "Scarobyte" got his belt changed, too.


It's my goal to get a picture of P with his instructors at each belt test.  I love seeing his progress and watching how he grows and changes, too.


Way to go, P!  We're proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment