Sunday, July 18, 2010

"Caboosies" and trains

If you've been reading along as I post, you already know that the boys and I went on vacation with Grandma Paige and Poppa Fred. Daddy A couldn't come, because Pastor Michael is on sabbatical this summer, leaving Daddy A on call at home. We missed him, but we had a blast!

Our vacay took us to Pennsylvania, where we stayed at the Red Caboose Motel. As the name suggests, old train cabooses have been refurbished into motel rooms. (Nope, the cabooses aren't all red, but yup, the one C, Grandma Paige, and Poppa Fred slept in was red. The one P and I slept in was burgundy.)
I didn't think the "caboosie" (as P named it) we stayed in was too bad, but I was a camp counselor for several summers. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you're used to the Ritz Carlton, but if you've got a kiddo that loves trains, I think this is a pretty neat way to go. Here's P in front of C's "caboosie."


One of P's favorite things about the sleeping arrangements were the bunk beds. The first night he chose to sleep "up toppy". (I did put a bedrail up there, but he didn't have any problems.)

The Red Caboose Motel had its own petting zoo. P especially enjoyed the chickens,
while C took a moment or two to watch
before heading for the familiar... sheep!
As in the past, C laughed like crazy every time the animals ate from his hand.

We also ate in two dining cars, but I didn't get any awesome pictures of that, so you'll have to take my word for it. One was the dining car at the motel, so it just sat there. It was almost exactly like eating in a tiny, narrow restaurant.

The other dining car was on a moving train that departed from (and returned to) Strasburg Railroad. It was relatively unremarkable, except that P had to use the bathroom and somehow my watch came unclasped and fell into the toilet. Yes, the toilet on the train. No, I didn't reach down into the nasty black hole of blue liquid and other, ahem, stuff. I just bid my watch a tearful (okay, not really tearful - it was a watch, albeit a watch I really liked) farewell.

It was a great time, despite the loss of my watch. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment