Monday, July 5, 2010

another trip to Tweetsie and fun with a goat

While Daddy A was on a mission trip the last week of June, the boys and I took (another) trip to Tweetsie Railroad. We took our friend Happy with us. Happy is the adopted daughter of our church's missionary, and they'll be returning to Malawi at the end of this month. But I digress.

Back to Tweetsie: As I packed up the strollers and diaper bags for the trip, I decided not to take the camera. "Mama E," I said to myself, "Y'all take plenty of trips to Tweetsie. This will be your sixth or seventh visit this season. How many pictures of one place in two months' time do you need? Make it easier on yourself. You'll have three small children to keep up with - how many pictures will you be able to take, anyway? Leave the camera at home - you'll have enough to keep up with as it is." And then I replied (I'm talking to myself, remember?), "You're right, Mama E. I won't need the camera. I probably wouldn't use it if I had it with me."

And off to Tweetsie we went. At the very top of Miner's Mountain, Tweetsie has a Deer Park. This is essentially a petting zoo. You can buy feed for the animals, and there are llamas, miniature horses, emus, pigs, goats, rabbits, and, of course, deer. There's a paved walkway between some wooden fences, and the whole area is fenced in (by taller, stronger fences), too. Generally, I find the Deer Park relatively unremarkable. Sure, the animals are cute, but when aren't they? I could typically take it or leave it. But on this particular day (remember, my camera was back at home resting comfortably in its perch atop my computer desk), a baby goat walked squeezed right through the small wooden fence and out onto the paved walkway. Apparently the larger fence is the only one that matters, because the employees said that was fine. They ask you not to pick up the animals, but you can feed and pet to your heart's content. This particular baby goat was incredibly adorable, and rather small, except for a large belly. As I mentioned above, she had to squeeze through the fence, but she didn't have a hard time. Apparently she took quite well to the "feed the animals to your heart's content" rule, and had eaten to her heart's content.

The kids loved the goats, so I snapped a few photos with my cell phone. Excuse the quality (or lack thereof) of the pictures, and enjoy!

You can't tell from this angle, but C laughed and laughed while he was petting the goat. He may be the biggest animal lover in our family, but it's hard to say yet.


P was all set to feed her, but the goat wasn't interested. I guess she was finally full. Happy is beside him, petting the goat.


P and Happy both got down for a closer look.


Isn't this baby goat adorable? (If anyone's wondering what to get me for my upcoming birthday, feel free to look at this post for inspiration...)


Eventually, we did say goodbye to the baby goat (for the day), and headed off to ride some rides, get our faces painted, and stop in at the fudge shop. We all considered the day a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment