Friday, July 26, 2013

Martial Arts for St. Jude and an overdue book review

I mentioned a few posts back that P was involved with Martial Arts for St. Jude this year.  I've always tried to support St. Jude and am so grateful for the work they do, and I was proud of P's hard work to raise money for "a hospital for kids who are sick that aren't cured yet".  P explained to countless friends, neighbors, and church members {who were extremely generous!} that he was working to raise money to help the hospital "so that one day all kids will have cures".  He raised enough money to earn a gold medal from St. Jude, and while he was proud of his hard work, he also told me, "Mom, it's really about the hospital and the sick kids - not this medal."  You're right, and I'm so proud of you, buddy!


All of this talk with P brought Rachel's book to the front of my mind.  A year ago, we went to Virginia and visited my mom.  She offered to loan me her copy of her friend's book about the year her daughter battled brain cancer.  I took her up on it, went to bed with the book in hand, and stayed up until around 1:00am reading.  I read the book from cover to cover.  I emailed Rachel to ask her if I could write about her book on my little corner of cyberspace, and she readily agreed... and then I promptly went back to school, played with my boys, volunteered at church, and got months behind on my blog.  So here are my overdue comments.  First, my overarching opinion: go read Four Seasons for Charlotte.

Because all people and all situations are different, books affect different people in different ways.  {Profound, I know.}  But I can say that this book is worth the read.  Of course there were sad parts {I shed my share of tears}, but there was hope and a deep joy that extends beyond happiness to the story as well.  I felt like I was talking with a friend over coffee {well, tea... I'm not a coffee drinker} and hearing about her life experiences.  Regardless of your life situation, family situation, or beliefs, there are lessons to be learned and thoughts to impart.  I'd like to think the read has made me a better parent.  Charlotte started complaining of headaches four days after C was born, when she was three and a half.  C was three and a half when I read Rachel's book.  At the risk of making this all about me, I'll say that reading Four Seasons for Charlotte made me so grateful for whatever time I have with my children.  I try to be slower to anger and more gracious in my words and actions.  I'm sure there are lessons for you as well... stop reading my rambles and go check out Rachel's website!

No comments:

Post a Comment