Sunday, January 12, 2014

five

Dear C,
     Today you are five years old!  The last five years could not have gone by any faster if we were in a DeLorean traveling 88 miles per hour.  Where does the time go?
     Five years ago today, my heart was so full of love for you that I didn't think it could hold another bit.  But, just as it has with your older brother, my heart has grown to love you more every day as I watch you turn into your own unique person.
     Five seems like such a "big" birthday.  Maybe it’s because I know that in just seven short months, I’ll walk you into your Kindergarten classroom.  That walk down the hallway will be the next of many steps that will lead you into your own world.  I miss you with every step you take away from me, but I am simultaneously so proud of the boy you are becoming.  I know that you are more than ready for that next step.
     Daddy and I have prayed so many things for you since before you were born and, true to form, God has done more than we could have asked or imagined.  You are a light in this world, not just to us, but to everyone who meets you.
     And now  you are five.  Just like that.  Five.  You still love princesses and mermaids, despite your assertion that they are "girly things", and you also love Skylanders, books, art projects, playing with your friends and brother, making messes, and being noisy.  You are constantly pretending to be different characters - your favorite is a puppy named Rouskey - and you love dramatic play.  You sing all the time {a trait you inherited from me}, and your current "playlist" includes the soundtrack to Disney's Frozen.  You know the lyrics for the entire movie by heart!  You are funny, creative, smart, and you make wonderful company.  You test my patience and frustrate me and then within a minute you make me smile.  You have a beautiful mix of shyness and confidence, which I hope you keep forever.  You can appear ninja-like beside me in the middle of the night yet make the noise of several children during the day.
     You love to tease people.  Just last night when I tucked you into bed, I asked for one last four year old kiss.  You tried to lick me "like a puppy" instead.  {There's your creative spirit at work again!}  I asked for a kiss from you, not Rouskey, and you gave me a sweet kiss to remember forever.  After your prayers, you said {in the sweetest voice}, "Mama, can you give me one more four year old kiss?  Then tomorrow morning, I will give  you a FIVE year old kiss!"  How could I resist?  I leaned down for my kiss and you LICKED ME, and then you laughed and laughed!
     You are so excited to turn five!  We saw some friends at the movies today, and when we left the theater, you said, "This is the last time you will see me four years old.  Tomorrow at church I will be five!"  Your excitement is contagious - you are going to be an amazing five year old, C!  I can't wait to spend another year with you.
Love you forever,
     Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment