Monday, January 12, 2015

Now You Are Six

Dear C,

It's hard for me to believe you are six years old today!  Mr. Peabody, Sherman, and their Way Back Machine have nothing on you.  It seems like I blinked my eyes and you went from a newborn to this



and left me wondering how that's even possible.

This year you went to kindergarten.  I wondered how your classmates would feel about your love of "girl things" {your description, despite all my assertions that mermaids and princesses are for everyone}, but I shouldn't have worried at all.  You get along with everyone in your class, and you even started a club for "all the boys who love princesses" that has grown so quickly I've lost count of how many members there are.  You always follow your heart, wherever it leads, and I can't wait to watch the paths God directs you to take as you grow.


On Career Day, you informed us that you have decided when you grow up you want to be a pastor, "just like Daddy".  Your dreams may change throughout the years, but I pray that you will always seek God's will for your life.  If you follow God's plan and go where you're called, amazing things will happen.


You are passionate and creative!  You continue to love to dress up and pretend to be different people and animals.  Some of your favorites right now are Milky and Groomie {both cats} and a variety of merpeople.  You adore P and often say "my favorite is to copy P" when I ask you what you'd like in your lunchbox or what color shirt you'd like to wear to school.  That's quite a compliment to your big brother, given your strong independent streak!


About two weeks ago, you started counting down the days until your birthday.  One night recently, as I tucked you into bed {after singing Billy Joel's "Goodnight, My Angel", your current favorite lullaby}, you said, "Mama, I'm almost going to be six!"

"C, " I answered, "you are my baby!  How about you stay little a while longer?"

You replied, "I can't, Mama.  God is making me grow bigger.  If you want me to stay five, you'll have to talk to God."  And I assured you that I love watching you grow and change, and I do want you to grow up.  You will always be MY baby, just like your brother will always be MY baby, but you are not A baby.

Happy birthday, C!  Know that forever and ever Daddy and I will love you, no matter and what, and so will God!

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment